Weekend Treasures

by Edie Wadsworth on September 20, 2009

The chair we found on our ‘thrifting’ excursion: $5
Our find of the year—a 1950′s glider: $20
A can of paint, 2 yards of cheap fabric and child labor: $25 (and a homeade milkshake)
Having a perfect place to sew and knit and hearing your 7yo say, “When I grow up, I’m gonna be ONE crafty momma!” : priceless
Notes:
1. You’re gonna ask me how I recovered that chair and I’m gonna tell you that there was weeping, gnashing of teeth, hammerin’, staplin’, and then I put an afghan over the side that I completely messed up. In other words, you should get your recoverin’ tutorial from someone who measures twice and cuts once—-instead of from someone who just cuts! Thanks to Katilin for her help!
2. Just got that glider into the ‘studio’—thanks to Marcus and Macdaddy. I promise to show you soon—although I’m afraid the suspense is gonna be more exciting than the actual reveal.
Hope your weekend was full of treasures too!
Visit ‘Metamorphosis Monday‘ to see other fun transformations!
I’m also joining Rhoda for her ‘yardsale treasures’ carnival. Visit her blog here.

1 Angie September 20, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Great finds!! I AM very eager to see the room reveal!!

2 Kelly September 20, 2009 at 11:46 pm

You lucky duck- I totally would have swiped that glider from you! I might have to come by and see the reveal in person!

3 Kathy September 20, 2009 at 11:50 pm

LOOOOVE the glider!! I like the material you chose for the chair too!! Recovering *looks* simple doesnt it :)

4 Hannah September 21, 2009 at 12:15 am

Lead paint, lead paint, lead paint! Okay, so that's what I was screaming to myself at the photo of your daughter but I love, love, love the glider and am so envious! But she's painting, right? Not scraping?

5 Sheri September 21, 2009 at 12:58 am

Love it!! come over and link to my blog, I have a "room a month" thing going on and would love for your craftiness (That's what I call you sort of like "Your highness") "Your Craftiness Edie" to link there!

6 Emily September 21, 2009 at 1:04 am

The chair is beautiful!!

Emily@ remodeling this life

7 Amy September 21, 2009 at 1:10 am

Love these!!!

8 FOR THE SAKE OF TIME September 21, 2009 at 1:28 am

Unbelievable deal on the glider. Thanks for sharing your great finds.

Charla

9 marty (A Stroll Thru Life) September 21, 2009 at 1:44 am

The chair looks gorgeous. I love the toile fabric. The glider is wonderful too. I look forward to what you've done with it. Hugs, Marty

10 Denise September 21, 2009 at 2:00 am

Do tell! Where, oh where, did the little gal thrift? Love both items. See you Tuesday!

11 Mandi Shandi September 21, 2009 at 2:32 am

You hit the motherload with those 2pieces. My mom (who lives in TN) went to some estate sales in your neck of the woods this weekend and scored me some goodies she is gonna bring me this weekend. I can't wait to see what she got. I hope her finds were as good as yours.

12 Melissa Stover September 21, 2009 at 2:56 am

i love finding treasures!

13 Katy September 21, 2009 at 3:17 am

Oh, neato! Good finds are just so exciting. I just got a console table for $15 at a gar. sale.

14 classiclyamber September 21, 2009 at 4:17 am

I just think both of those pieces are pretty fab. That red toile fabric you used to recover the chair is classicly gawgeous! Let's see more now! =-)

15 patty September 21, 2009 at 12:36 pm

i'm seeing the quilt coming together! love your finds, and especially your energy!! :)

16 Mrs. Dunbar September 21, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Love your treasures and the fact that you're not afraid to put your kids to work. Milkshakes are always good compensation.

17 Catherine Anne September 21, 2009 at 4:03 pm

love this

18 Get Your Martha On September 21, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Kudos for giving the chair a try! It looks great in the pictures. And the glider? To quote Justin Timberlake, "I'm lovin' it."

19 Aja September 21, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Hi Edie, love your blog! I read your post this morning and then came across this article on Jennie Garth and her daughters and in one pic she's sitting on a glider just like yours!!

Love that color and can't wait to see more of how yours turns out!

-Aja

20 BlueCastle September 21, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Oh that glider is amazing! I've never seen anything like that. Good find. :)

21 Ruth September 21, 2009 at 11:12 pm

I love them both. Your recover looks great. I am one who just cuts, too. I have to keep reminding myself to not be so hasty.

22 Michelle September 21, 2009 at 11:39 pm

I have searched high & low for a glider like that, my grandparents had one when I was a little girl and I would sit with her and break green beans, wonderful memories.

23 Mary Ellen (megardengal) September 22, 2009 at 2:16 am

WHat a find on the glider!! Your chair looks great no matter what you say !

blessings
mary

24 Cass @ That Old House September 22, 2009 at 2:44 am

Love the glider AND the chair — and it sounds as if you use my method of upholstery, which I learned from my Aunt Lillian – you just jump right in and WILL it to work!
Cass

25 Kammy September 22, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Very nice chair !! I love that glider you found – very cool !
Kammy

26 Beth Morrow November 17, 2011 at 3:28 am

I have been lookin for a glider like that for e er. My husband’s Uncle had a glider like that in a den with a pad on th bottom and vintage pillows all on it and a throe on the arm…always loved it. Love the color on yours and the room is adorable!

27 BethMorrow November 17, 2011 at 3:31 am

Lol…forgive my typos…but I’m sure you get my poin!

28 engineering internship uk January 26, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I’m extremely inspired along with your writing skills as neatly as with the layout to your weblog. Is that this a paid topic or did you customize it your self? Anyway stay up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice weblog like this one these days..