Just like that……..

they’re gone

Kite by U2

Something is about to give
I can feel it coming
I think I know what it is
I’m not afraid to die
I’m not afraid to live
And when I’m flat on my back
I hope to feel like I did

And hardness, it sets in
You need some protection
The thinner the skin

I want you to know
That you don’t need me anymore
I want you to know
You don’t need anyone
Or anything at all

Who’s to say where the wind will take you?
Who’s to say what it is will break you?
I don’t know, which way the wind will blow

Who’s to know when the time has come around?
Don’t want to see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

It’s summer, I can taste the salt of the sea
There’s a kite blowing out of control on the breeze
I wonder what’s gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me…

I’m a man, I’m not a child…
A man who sees
The shadow behind your eyes

Who’s to say where the wind will take you?
Who’s to say what it is will break you?
I don’t know, where the wind will blow

Who’s to know when the time has come around?
I don’t want to see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

Did I waste it?
Not so much I couldn’t taste it
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement

Thank you Hopefull, for this song!

• Amber says:

Oh. You make me cry.

• Jill says:

I want a “pause” button…so they will be at home forever!

• Ruthie says:

Edie…I promise you that they are not ever really gone. I know that somedays it will seem that way, but in reality they are always there and they always love you because YOU are the best mom they have ever had or will have! Take a deep breath and enjoy the next few days… don’t keep yourself so busy that you miss the sweetness of these moments. And I will see you soon!

• The Hill Hang-Out says:

Girl, you are KILLING me!! That’s exactly why I home school my little ones… so I can have all the time I can possibly have with them. And it STILL seems like time is marching by way too fast. I’m already dreading the day mine leave home, and my oldest is only 7!!

• Stephanie says:

Oh, I have chills. They do grow up so fast and it’s so hard!

• Alison says:

Oh my goodness–I don’t know how I’m going to handle this growing up thing. Beautiful!

• TheOldPostRoad says:

It absolutely flies by, doesn’t it? When they are infants/toddlers, time seems to drag by. Once they become school aged, you blink and they are adults. I posted a couple of weeks ago about my oldest turning 16…..and dating (ughh).

• Carmen says:

Awww. *sniff* It does go fast, doesn’t it? What a handsome young man he has grown into.

That song is wonderful.

• Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage says:

I already have crying moments because my 16 year old is joining Peace Corps for a year before college. That’s three years away! I wanna cry now just thinking about it….

• Sandy Toes says:

It is bittersweet!
    sandy toe

• Hair Bows & Guitar Picks says:

Oh my…I so am crying.

What a handsome man he is :)

• Mrs. Dunbar says:

Oh, Edie, I see my own life before me on fast forward. Everyone always rolls their eyes at me when I say “They’re going to grow up and leave me.” Not that I don’t want them to, I do, but I so enjoy my sons and they precious hugs and the way they say “Mommy!” and how I am the only one who can make it better. These days are numbered for me and I know I will be a crying disaster when they cease. Be strong, friend. You have set a great foundation for your young man.

• Magic Brush says:

My heart hurts for you. And honestly… I dread the day. Mine are 7, 5 and 1 right now…. but it seems to have already just flown. Be blessed, Jennifer

• Maebelle Park says:

I will be facing this next year…I don’t know how I will get through the year….my son like yours is my heart….but, when I read your post I just kept saying to myself….don’t be sad, he’s not gone….and never, ever will be…

• Cindy says:

Sigh…I miss them at all of the stages…down the road, I realize, they’re great memories and the present is pretty darn good too.

• Nikowa@KHA says:

ah yes, don’t blink

• Molly says:

You now have me crying sista!! I dread the day my brother & sister graduate but I'm pretty sure we will have some awesome times grwoing old together!! Love the picture leaning at the foot of the bed and the drapes. Have a great weekend with your precious family!!
    ~Molly P

• Hopefull says:

both pictures are gorgeous – and those lyrics…the kind that stay with you